洋 务 运 动使一个
涣 映 农 业 大 国第 一 次 面 向世 界 ,
走 向近 代 工业 化 目标 的微 小 的一 步
洋 务 运 动 却 以失
没 能 使 中华 民族 真 正 走上 工业 化 的道 路 ,
中 国失 去 了一 次近 代化 飞 跃 的机 会
运 动 失 败 的 原 因众 说 纷纭 ,
但 清政 府 的财 政对 洋 务运 动 的制 约是 其 中一个 重 要 因素
正在加载中,请稍后...Lesson 1 (English – Chinese)
Taking the train, the two friends arrived in Berlin in late October 1922, and went directly to the address of Chou En-lai. Would this man receive them as fellow countrymen, or would he treat them with cold suspicious and question them cautiously about their past careers as militarists? Chu Teh remembered his age. He was thirty- his youth had passed like a screaming eagle, leaving him old and disillusioned.
When Chou En-lai’s door opened they saw a slender man of more than average height with gleaming eyes and a face so striking that it bordered on the beautiful. Yet it was a manly face, serious and intelligent, and Chu judged him to be in his middle twenties.
Chou was a quiet and thoughtful man, even a little shy as he welcomed his visitors, urged them to be seated and to tell how he could help them.
Ignoring the chair offered him, Chu Teh stood squarely before this youth more than ten years his junior and in a level voice told him who he was, what he had done in the past, how he had fled from Yunnan, talked with Sun Yat-sen, been repulsed by Chen Tu-hsiu in Shanghai, and had come to Europe to find a new way of life for himself and a new revolutionary road for China. He wanted to join the Chinese Communist Party group in Berlin, he would study and work hard, he would do anything he was asked to do but return to his old life, which had turned to ashes beneath his feet.
As he talked Chou En-lai stood facing him, he head a little to one side as was his habit, listening intently until the story was told, and then questioning him.
When both visitors had told their stories, Chou smiled a little, said he would help them find rooms, and arrange for them to join the Berlin Communist group as candidates until their application had been sent to China and an answer received. When the reply came a few months later they were enrolled as full members, but Chu’s membership was kept a secret from outsiders.
他们两个人坐火车于1922年10月下旬到达柏林, 立即去周恩来的住处. 这个人会不会像同胞手足一样接待他们呢? 会不会疑虑重重, 详细询问他们在军阀时代的经历呢? 朱德想起自己的年龄, 他已36岁, 青春像一路鸣叫的鹰, 早已一闪而逝, 留给他的是衰老和幻灭.
周恩来的房门打开时, 他们看到的是一个身材瘦长, 比普通人略高一点的人, 两眼闪着光辉, 面貌很引人注意, 称的上清秀. 可是. 那是个男子汉的面庞, 严肃而聪颖, 朱德看他大概是二十五六岁的年龄.
周恩来举止优雅, 待人体贴, 在招呼他们坐下, 询问有何见教的时候, 甚至还有些腼腆.
朱德顾不得拉过来的椅子, 端端正正地站在这个比他年轻十岁的青年面前, 用平稳的语调, 说明自己的身份和经历: 他怎样逃出云南, 怎样会见孙中山, 怎样在上海被陈独秀拒绝, 怎样为了寻求自己的新的生活方式和中国的新的革命道路而来到欧洲. 他要求加入中国共产党在柏林的党组织, 他一定会努力学习和工作, 只要不再回到旧的生活里去---它已经在他的脚底下化为尘埃了----派他做什么工作都行.
他娓娓而谈, 周恩来就站在他面前, 习惯地侧着头, 一直听到朱德把话说完, 才提出问题.
两位来客把经历说完后, 周恩来微笑着说, 他可以帮他们找到住的地方, 替他们办理加入党在柏林的支部的手续, 在入党申请书寄往中国而尚未批准之前, 暂作候补党员. 过了几个月, 回信来了, 两人都被吸收为正式党员, 但朱德的党籍对外保密.
Exercise 1 将下列短文译成汉语
Bill Morrow’s Birthday Party 比尔莫罗的生日宴会
Several times on his trip’s to China, which he made as a guest of the Chinese Government, Bill’s birthday occurred while he was in Beijing. On these occasions he was given a dinner in his honour and Premier Zhou En-lai would attend. He remembered the first occasion:
比尔作为中国政府的客人,好几次都赶上在北京过生日。每当他过生日的时候,周恩来都会参加给他举办宴会,他还记得第一次:
At the hotel always finished the meal with icecream and the girls there would laugh because I liked it so much. Zhou En-lai was at my birthday party and at the end he got up, went over to the counter and got an icecream and he put it down in front of me—this is the Prime Minister you know! He said ‘This is for you’. I said “I didn’t know you could speak English’. He laughed and he said ‘a little bit’ measuring with his finger and thumb. Sometimes when we were alone then he’d speak to me in English.
我在饭馆里吃饭,最后总吃冰淇淋,我吃的津津有味,惹的那些服务员发笑。周恩来在我的生日宴会上,最后起身,走到柜台拿冰淇淋放在我的面前--- 要知道他是个总理啊!说“这是给你的”。 我说“没想到您会说英语啊”。他笑了起来,“只会一点点”。一面说着,一面用食指和拇指比划着。有时我们单独在一起的时候,他跟我用英语交谈。
‘This is for u,’ Bill Morrow heard on many occasion he would never forget—such as when he taken in a boat down the Grand Canal, and every boat that passed sounded its siren in salutation. Or then he was shown over the great Nanjing bridge, built where the ferries used to carry trains across the Changjiang River. He was given a chair and asked to wait a little as darkness came on, then suddenly the whole bridge was outlined in lights. ‘This is for you.’ ‘You mustn’t use all that electricity to please me,’ he protested, ‘all Nanjing will enjoy it too,’ he was told.
“这是给你的”,比尔莫罗在很多场合说这样的话,很难忘记的情景,是有一次他乘船沿运河而下,从旁边驶过的每一条船都拉响汽笛,表示敬意。又有一次他参观南京长江大桥的时候,有人给他一张椅子坐下等待着黑暗的降临,突然整个桥被灯光所点缀。“这是给你的”“你们不该费那么多电,就为了让我高兴。”他不满的说道,但是对他得到的回答是“整个南京人都是欣赏大桥”。
Zhou En-lai arranged for experts from Beijing University to give Bill Morrow some up-to-date information he wanted. ‘I’m just an old bum at home,’ Bill said, ‘But here you treat me like a VIP.’ We know what you have done,’ said Zhou En-lai.
周恩来把从北京大学的专家安排给比尔,并给了他用得着的最新资料。“我在国内是个无业游民”,他说,“在这你们把我当成重要人士”。周恩来说:“我们知道你为我们做的贡献。”
The story of my life
Helen keller
The most important day I remember in all my life in the one on which my teacher, Anne Mansfield Sullivan, came to me. I am filled with wonder then I consider the immeasurable contrast between the two lives which it connects. It was the third of March, 1887, three months before I was seven years old.
On the afternoon of that eventful day, I stood on the porch, dumb, expectant. I guess vaguely from my mother’s signs and from the hurrying to and fro in the house that something unusual was about to happen, so I went to the door and waited on the steps. The afternoon sun penetrated the mass of honeysuckle that covered the porch, and fell on my face. My fingers lingered almost unconsciously on the familiar leaves and blossoms which had just come forth to greet the sweet southern spring. I did not know what the future held of marvel or surprise for me. Anger and bitterness had prayed upon me continually for weeks and a deep languor had succeeded this passionate struggle.
Have you ever been at sea in a dense fog, when it seemed as if a tangible white darkness shut you in, and the great ship, tense and anxious, groped her way toward the shore with plummet and sounding-line and you waited with beating heart for something to happen? I was like that ship before my education began, only I was without compass or sounding-line, and had no way of knowing how near the harbor was. “Light! Give me light!” was the wordless cry of my soul, and the light of love shone on me in that very hour.
我的生活(摘录1)
在我的记忆里, 安妮.曼斯菲尔德.沙利文老师来的那一天, 是我一生中最重要的日子. 从这一天开始, 我的生活和以前迥然不同, 一想到这一点, 我就感到非常兴奋. 这个重要的日子是日, 我差三个月就七岁了.
那天下午, 我一声不响, 怀着期待的心情站在门廊里. 母亲给我打着手势, 人们在屋里匆匆地走来走去, 我模模糊糊地预感到一件寻常的事就要发生了. 于是我就走到门口, 站在台阶上等着. 午后的阳光透过门廊上覆盖的厚厚的一层忍冬, 照在我微微迎着的脸上.. 我几乎是无意识地用手抚摩着我所熟悉的叶片和花朵, 这新长的叶片和刚开的花朵在南方迎来了芬芳的春天. 但不知今后等待着我的是什么, 会使我欣喜, 还是惊骇. 几个星期以来, 我又气又恨, 感到非常苦恼, 这种感情上的激烈斗争之后, 我感到浑身乏力.
不知你是否有过这样的经历-----在海上航行遇上了大雾, 周围有片白, 好象着实把你关在一个黑暗的地方,大船上的人有紧张又着急, 一面用铅锤探测深浅, 一面向岸边慢慢驶去, 你的心也怦怦直跳, 生怕出事. 我在开始受教育之前, 就像这样一条船, 只是没有罗盘, 没有探测绳, 也无法知道离海港有多远. “光明! 给我光明!” 这就是我发自内心深处的无言的呼唤, 也就是在这时候, 爱的光芒照到了我的身上.
Exercise 2
将下列短文译成汉语
The Story of My Life (Excerpt 2)
I felt approaching footsteps. I stretched out my hand as I supposed to my mother. Someone took it, and I was caught up and held close in the arms of her who had come to reveal all things to me, and, more than all things else, to love me.
我感觉到了脚步声。我以为是我的妈妈就伸出手,有人抓住了我的手,抓紧在她的怀中,她就是向我揭示世界秘密的人,而,更重要的是,她给了我无限的爱。
The morning after my teacher came she led me into her room and gave me a doll. The little blind children at the Perkins Institution had sent it and Lauria Bri but I did not know this until afterward. When I had played with it a little while, Miss Sullivan slowly spelled into my hand the word “d-o-l-l”. I was at once interested in this finger play and tried to imitate it. When I finally succeeded in making the letters correctly I was flushed with childish pleasure and pride. Running downstairs to my mother, I held up my hand and made the letters for doll. I didn’t know that I was spelling a word or eve I was simply making my fingers to spell in this monkey-like imitation. In the days that followed I learned to spell in this uncomprehending way a great many words, among them pin, hat, cup and a few verbs like sit, stand and walk. But my teacher had been with me several weeks before I understood that everything has a name.
老师来的第二天早晨,她带我去了她的房间,给了一个玩具娃娃。是Perkins 院的盲孩子送的,穿着Lauria Bridaman 的服装,直到后来我才知道的。我玩了一小会儿以后,沙利文老师在我的手上慢慢的拼写出个单词“d-o-l-l”,我突然对手指比划感兴趣并试图模仿。我终于把这几个字母写对了,这时我天真的感到无限愉快和骄傲。跑下楼找到妈妈,我举起手写“DOLL”这个单词。当时我并不知道自己在拼写单词,甚至不知道有所谓词,不过是像猴子一样用手指模仿而已。往后我就这样学着拼写,虽然并不理解意思,却也拼写了许多词,其中有pin, hat, cup和一些动词,如sit, stand 和walk。然而,我的老师跟我在一起的几个星期后,我知道了所有的东西都有一个名字。
I left the wellhouse eager to learn. Everything had a name, and each name gave birth to a new thought. As we returned to the house every object which I touched seemed to quiver with life. That was because I saw everything with the strange, new sight that had come to me. On entering the door I remembered the doll I had broken. I felt my way to the hearth and picked up the pieces. I tried vainly to put them together. Then my ey for I realized what I had done, and for the first time I felt repentance and sorrow.
我满怀学习的愿望离开了井台。所有的东西都有一个名字,每一个名字产生一个新的思想。当我们返回房间的时候,我触摸的每一个东西好象都散发着生命的气息。因为我是用刚刚产生的这种新奇的视力来看待一切的。一进门,我就想起了被我摔坏娃娃。我摸索着到了壁炉跟前,捡起了碎片。我想把这些碎片都拼在一起,可是拼不起来了。然后我的眼睛充满泪水,我知道我干了些什么,第一次我感觉到后悔和悲伤。
I learned a great many new words that day. I do not remembe but I do know that mother, father, sister, teacher were among them—words that were to make the world blossom for me, “Like Aaron’s rod, with flowers”. It would have been difficult to find a happier child than I was as I lay in my crib at the close of that eventful day and lived over the joys it had brought me, and for the first time longed for a new day to come.
那天我学会了很多新的单词。我记不起来它们都是什么了。但是我知道它们中有mother, father, sister, teacher。对于我来说单词会使世界为我盛开,“就像Aaron的魔力棒,带着花朵”。在那个值得纪念的一天,很难发现一个比我还幸福的孩子躺在小床上充满了欢笑,生平第一天我渴望新的一天到来。
My life and literature
前两天有一位日本作家问我你怎么同时喜欢各种流派的作家和作品呢? 我说, 我不是文学家, 不属于任何派别, 所以我不受限制. 那位朋友又问, “你明明写了那么许多作品, 你怎么说不是文学家呢?” 我说, 唯其不是文学家, 我就不受文学规律的限制, 我也不怕别人把我赶出文学界. 我的敌人是什么呢? 我说过:”一切旧的传统观念, 一切阻止社会进步和人性发展的不合理的制度, 一切摧残爱的努力, 它们都是我最大的敌人.” 我所有的作品都是写来控诉` 揭露`
攻击这些敌人的.
A few days ago, a Japan author asked me how I was able to appreciate authors and books of so many different schools. I replied, “I am not a ‘man of letters’, nor do I belong to any particular school. Thus I am not restricted in any way. Then he asked me, “You have written many, many books, how can you say you’re not a man of letters?” I replied, “As long as I am not a man of letters, I am not subject to any of the rule of literature. Nor do I have to be afraid of being thrown out of any literary circles.” What are my enemies? “All outmoded
any irrational system which obstructs social progress
any force which tramples on love---all these are my enemies.” All my books were written with the express purpose of denouncing, exposing and striking out at these enemies of mine.
从1929年到1948年这二十年中间, 我写得快, 也写得多. 我觉得有一根鞭子在抽打我的心, 又觉得有什么鬼魂借我的笔为自己伸冤一样. 我常常同主人公一起哭笑, 又常常绝望地乱搔头发.
In the twenty years between 1929 and 1948, I wrote very quickly and wrote a great deal. I felt as if my mind was being whipped, as if a ghost had commandeered my pen and was writing to redress the injustices it had suffered. I both cried and laughed along with my principal characters, and often despondently scratched my head.
我说我写作如同生活, 又说作品的最高境界是写作同生活的一致, 是作家同人的一致, 主要的意思是不说谎.
When I say that I write like I live, and that the highest ideal a work of literature can attain is to be at one with life, and that an author should be able to identify with his readers, I basically mean that books and their authors should never tell lies.
我最近还在另一个地方说过: 艺术的最高境界是无技巧. 我几十年前同一位朋友辩论时就说过: 长的好看的人用不着浓妆艳抹, 而我的文章就像一个丑八怪, 不打扮, 看起来倒还顺眼些. 他说:” 流传久远的作品是靠文学技巧流传, 谁会关心百十年前的生活?” 我不同意, 我认为打动人心的还是作品中所反映的生活和主人公的命运. 这仍然是在反对那些无中生有 混淆黑白的花言巧语. 我最恨那些盗名欺世` 欺骗读者的谎言.
I’ve also said recently on another occasion that the highest state to which art can attain is artlessness. When I was arguing this point with a friend decades ago, I said, “Physically attractive people don’t need heavy make-up. Though my writing resembles an ugly monster, it actually looks a little better without any embellishment. His replied was, “Literary works have stood the test of time because of the skill with which they were written. Who today really cares about the details of what life was like a hundred years ago?” I disagree. Readers are moved by the reflected in the story and the fate of the chief characters. This means I oppose fabrication, deception and flowery language. What I hate most are those glory-seeking writers who deceive the public with their lies.
Exercise 3
将下列短文译成英语:
我为乘客服务 I service to passenger
有一次,在拥挤的车厢门口,我所见一位男乘客客客气气地问他前面的一个女乘客:“您下车吗?”女乘客没理他。“你下车吗?”他有问了一遍。女乘客还是没理他。“下车吗?”他耐不住了,放大声问,那女乘客依然没有反应。“你是聋子,还是哑巴?”他急了,捅了一下那女乘客,也引得车厢里的人都往这里看。女乘客这时也急了,瞪起一双眼睛回手给了男乘客一拳。
Once I heard a man asked a woman in the front of him at the crowded door of the bus: “Are you getting off?”, the woman made no response. “Getting off?” he asked again, but the woman still made no response. “Get off!” he shouted, as he was getting impatient, but there was still no response. “Are you deaf, or dumb?” he bust out, very much irritated, he gave her a slight push, which attracted the attention of other passengers. Also irritated, the woman stared at him and hit back.
见此情景,我猛然想起在60路沿线上有家福利工厂,女乘客可能就是聋哑人听不见声音。我赶忙向男乘客作了解释,又用纸条写了一句话,举到女乘客的眼前:“对不起!他要下车了。他问了您好几声,您是不是没听见?”女乘客点了点头,把道让开了。
At this point, I suddenly remembered that there was a welfare factory on the route of Bus No.60 and that the woman might be a deaf mute from there. I told the man that I was thinking and then I wrote on slip of paper: “Excuse me, but he wants to get off, he’s asked you several times, but you didn’t seem to hear him. Right?” when I showed it to the woman, she nodded and made way for him.
从此以后,我就特别注意聋哑人的特征,还从他们那里学会了一些常用的手语。比如,我可以用哑语问他们:“朋友,您好!”“您到哪里下车?”“请您往里走!”“谢谢”等等。这样,不仅我能更好地为他们服务,与他们进行感情交流,也减少了一些他们与其他乘客的误会和纠纷。
Since then I have paid special attention to those whose took like deaf mutes. I have learned from them some sign language with which I can say such things as: “Hello, how are you!” “Where are you going?” “Please move on” “Thank you”. In this way, I can not only render them better service and be friends with them and also
reduce their misunderstanding and conflicts with other passengers.
English Before the Industrial Revolution 工业革命前的英国
The country was a place where men worked from dawn to dark, and the laborer lived not in the sun, but in poverty and darkness. What aids there to lighten labour were immemorial, like the mill, which was already ancient in Chaucer’s time. The Industrial Revolution bega the millwrights were the engineers of the coming age. James Brindley of Stanffordshire started his self-made career in 1733 by working at mill wheels, at the age of seventeen, having been born poor in a village.
在农村,人们从早忙到晚,劳动力并不是沐浴在阳光下,而是生活在贫穷和黑暗中。那些帮助减少劳动的机械不知哪个年代就有了,比如磨房,在乔叟时代就已经是古老的了。而工业革命就是从这些机器开始的:修造磨房的匠人就是开创新时代的工程师。Stanffordshire的James Brindley,出生在贫穷的小村庄,1733年,他17岁,就着手改良磨房的车轮,从此开始了他的自奋斗的生涯。
Brindley’s improvements were practical: to sharpen and step up the performance of the water wheel as a machine. It was the first multi-purpose machine for the new industries. Brindley worked, for example, to improve the grinding of flints, which were used in the rising pottery industry.
Brindley的改良是有实用性的:改善并加强水车的机械功能,这是为新工业提供的第一台多功能机器。例如,在Brindley 改进燧石的碾磨过程,燧石是新兴的陶瓷工业有用的材料。
Yet there was a bigger movement in the air by 1750. Water had become the engineers’ element, and men like Brindley were possessed by it. Water was gushing and fanning out all over the countryside. It was not simple a source of power, it was a new wave of movement. James Brindley was a pioneer in the art of building canals or, as it was then called, ‘navigation’.
然而在1750年,一场更大的运动在酝酿中,水成为了工程师们大显身手的对象,被像Brindley一样的人对它着里迷。 水在乡村里到处涌流漫溢,它不仅仅是一种能源,还能带来了新的运动。James Brindley在开凿运河的先驱者,当时人们把开凿运河叫做“航海”。
Brindley had begun on his own account, out of interest, to survey the waterways that he traveled as he went about his engineering projects for mills and mines. The Duck’s of Bridgewater then got him to build a canal to carry coal from the Duck’s pits at Worley to the rising town of Manchester…. Brindley went on the connect Manchester with Liverpool in an even bolder manner, and in all laid almost four hundreds miles of canals in a network all over English.
Brindley在为他的磨房和矿井建筑工程奔走的时候,出于自愿和兴趣,对沿途经过的河道进行了勘探。于是布里奇瓦特公爵就让开一条运河,以便把煤从公爵在乌斯利拥有的矿井运往新兴城市曼彻斯…Brindley还更加大胆地用运河把曼彻斯特同利物浦连接起来,修凿了总长度为四百英里的遍布全英国的运河网。
Two things are outstanding in the creation of the English system of canals, and they characterize all the Industrial Revolution. One is that the men who made the revolution were practical men. Like Brindley, they often had little education, and in fact school education as it then was could only dull an inventive mind. The grammar schools legally could only teach the classical subjects for which they had been founded. The universities also (there were only two, at Oxford and Cambridge) took little interest in modern o and they were closed to those who did not conform to the Church of England.
在修建英国运河网的过程中,有两点是非常突出的,而这两点也正是整个工业革命的特点。首先,发动这场革命的都是些实干家。同Brindley一样,他们往往没受过什么教育。实际上,当时那种学校教育也只能窒息人的创造性。按规定,文法学校只能教授古典学科,这些学校的办学宗旨本来就是如此。大学们(当时仅有两所,一所在牛津,一所在剑桥)对现代的或自然学科也不怎么感兴趣,它们还把不信奉英国国教的人关在门外。
The other outstanding feature is that the new inventions were for everyday use. The canals were arteries of communication: They were not made to carry pleasures boats, but barges. And the barges were not made to carry luxuries but pots and pans and bales of cloth, boxes of ribbon, and all the common things that people buy by the pennyworth. These things had been manufactured in villages which were growing into towns now, away from L it was a country-wide trade.
另一个突出的特点是新发现为日常生活所用。运河是交通的动脉:开运河不是用来走游艇,而是为了通行的驳船。那些驳船也不是用来运奢侈品,而是用来运送瓦罐铁、成包的棉布、成箱的缎带,及那些只花几个便士就能买到的各式日用品。这些物品都是在远离伦敦渐渐发展起来成为城镇的农村制造的。这是一场全国范围的贸易。
Exercise 4 把下列短文译成汉语:
The Industrial Revolution
The Industrial Revolution is a long train of changes starting about 1760. It is not alone: it forms one of a triad of revolution, of which the other two were the American Revolution that started in 1775, and the French Revolution that started in 1789. It may seem strange to put into the same packer an industrial revolution and two political revolutions. But the fact is that they were all social revolutions. The Industrial Revolution is simple the English way of making those social changes. I think of it as the English Revolution.
工业革命从1760年开始了一连串的变革。它不是孤立的:它是三次大革命之一,其他两次革命,一次是1775年开始的美国革命,一次是1789年开始的法国革命。把一场工业革命与两个政治革命归作一类似乎有点奇怪。但事实上这些革命都是社会革命。工业革命仅仅是以英国模式所进行的社会变革。于是我就把它看作英国革命。
What makes it especially English? Obviously, it began in England. England was already the leading manufacturing nation. But the manufacturing was cottage industry, and the Industrial Revolution begins in the villages. The men who make it are craftsmen: the millwright, the watchmaker, the canal builder, the blacksmith. What makes the Industrial Revolution so peculiarly English is that it is rooted to the countryside.
哪些方面显示着英国的特色呢?很明显,它开始于英国,因为英国早已经成为制造产业的先驱国。但制造业主要是家庭手工业。工业革命开始于乡村。从事制造业的人称之为工匠:如磨房工匠、手表商、开凿运河工匠和铁匠。工业革命之所以具有英国特色,是因为他起始于英国农村。
During the first half of the eighteen century, in the old age of Newton and the decline of the Royal Society, England basked in a last Indian summer of village industry and overseas trade of merchant adventures. The summer faded. Trade grew more competitive. By the end of the century the needs of industry were harsher and more pressing. The organization of work in the cottage was no longer productive enough. Within two generations, roughly between 1760 and 1820, the customary way of running industry changed. Before 1760, it was standard to take work to villagers in their own homes. By 1820, it was standard to bring workers into a factory and have them overseen.
18世纪上半叶,也就是牛顿的晚年和皇家学会衰落的年代,英国沐浴在农村手工业和商人冒险从事的海外贸易交织的余晖中。这种余晖渐渐消退,而贸易竞争更加激烈。到18世纪末,发展工业的需求更加迫切。农村的工业组织已不再具有足够多的生产性能。从这两代人的时间里,工业管理的旧方法进行了改革。在1760年以前,将工作布置给村民们,他们一般都在自己家里工。而到1820年,一般把工人集中在工厂做工,并对他们进行监督。
Opportunities Open in the West
西部地区的开发机会
The first great rush of population to the far west was drawn to the mountainous regions, where gold was found in California in 1884, in Colorado and Nevada 10 years later, in Montana and Wyoming in the 1860s, and in the Black Hills of the Dakota country in the 1870s. Miners opened up the country, established communities, and laid the foundations for more permanent settlements. Yet even while digging in the hills, some settlers perceived the region’s farming and stock-raising possibilities. Eventually, though a few communities continued to be devoted almost exclusively to mining, the real wealth of Montana, Colorado, Wyoming, Idaho, and California proved to be in the grass and soil.
大规模迁徙西部地带的人们,大多集中在山区。在那里,加州在1884年发现了金矿,10年后在科罗拉多和内华达州,19世纪在蒙大拿州和怀俄明州,19世纪70年代在达科的黑山地区都先后发现了金矿。采矿者开发了这些乡村、建立了村镇、打下了长期定居的基础。不过,在山区采矿的同时,有些移民已看到这些地区有从事农业和畜牧业的可能。后来虽然少数城镇专门从事采矿业,但蒙大拿州,怀俄明州,爱达荷州的真正财富,也和加州一样,还是在草原和沃土中。
Cattle raising, long an important industry in Texas, became even more flourishing after the war, when enterprising men began to drive their Texas longhorns north across the open public domain. Feeding as they went, the cattle arrived at railway shipping points in Kansas, larger and fatter than when they started. Soon this “long drive” became a regular event, and, for hundreds of kilometers, trails were dotted with herds of cattle moving northward. Cattle raising spread into the trans Missouri region, and immense ranches appeared in Colorado, Wyoming, Kansas, Nebraska, and the Dakota territory. Western cities flourished as centers for the slaughter and dressing of meat.
在得克萨斯州,养牛早就是重要事业,战后尤见繁荣,大胆的赶牛人赶着得州的长角牛,穿过开放的公共地带,向北走去。牛群边走边吃,到得克萨斯州的铁路运输站时,已长得比刚出发时更大更肥壮了。不久,这样的“长征”就成常事了。向北移动的牛群,在几百公里的征途上,留下了数不尽的足迹。养牛业迅速超出了密苏里地区,在科罗拉多、怀俄明州、堪萨斯、内布拉斯加和达科他等地区,都出现了巨大的牧场。西部城市因成了屠宰业和调制肉类的中心而繁荣起来。
Altogether, between 1866 and 1888, some six million head of cattle were driven up from Texas to winter on the high plains of Colorado, Wyoming, and Montana. The cattle boom reached its height by 1885, then the range became too heavily pastured to support the long drive, and was beginning to be criss-crossed by railroads. Not far behind the rancher creaked the prairie schooner of the farmers bringing their families, their draft horses, cows, and pigs. Under the Homestead Act they staked their claims and fenced them with barbed wire. Ranchmen were ousted from lands they had roamed without legal title. Soon the romantic “wild west” had ceased to be.
在1866年和1888年间,约有头牛从得州放牧到科罗拉多、怀俄明、和蒙大拿的高原上过冬。养牛的兴旺发达,到1885已经达到最高值,由于放牧规模过大,草原就无法满足这么多长征牛群吃草的需要了,而且这些草原,也开始被纵横交错的铁路线所割裂。在牧牛人身后不远之外,有许多草原篷车在支支作响,农民把他们的妻儿,还有拉车的马、奶牛和猪群也的带来了。根据《宅地法》,他们圈定了所得的土地,并用铁蒺藜围起来。原来未经合法手续取得土地的牧牛人都被赶了出去。不久,这片具有浪漫气氛的“西部荒原”,便不复存在了。
Exercise 5
将下列短文译成汉语:
Machines and Science Help Farmers 机械与科学对农民的帮助
Despite the great gains in industry, agriculture remained the nation’s basic occupation. The revolution in agriculture—paralleling that in manufacturing after the war involved a shift from hand labor to farming, and from subsistence to commercial agriculture. Between 1860 and 1910, the number of farms in the United States trebled, increasing from 2 million to 6 million while the area farmed more than doubled from 160 million to 352 million hectares.
尽管美国在工业方面赢利很大,但农业一直是美国的基础产业。农业的变革与战后的制造业的革命并驾齐驱—使手工业变为机械耕作,从维持生计的农业变为商业化的农业。从1860年到1910年,美国的农场数量增加了三倍,即从2000000个增加到6000000个,而农业耕地面积从增加到公顷,比原来增加了一倍多。
Between 1860 and 1890, the production of such basic commodities as wheat, corn, and cotton outstripped all previous figures in the United States. In the same period, the nation’s population more than doubled, with the largest growth in the cities. But the American farmer grew enough grain and cotton, raised enough beef and pork, and clipped enough wool not only to supply American workers and their families but also to create ever-increasing surpluses.
从1860年到1890年,美国的小麦、玉米和棉花等基本农产品的产量都超过以前的数字。在同一时期,国家人口增加一倍多,尤其是城市人口增长达到最高峰。但是美国农民种出足够的谷物和棉花,养殖足够的牛和猪,生产足够的羊毛,不仅满足美国工人及他们家人的需要,而且还要创造持续增长的剩余产品。
Several factors accounted for this extraordinary achievement. One was the expansion into the west. Another was the application of machinery to farming. The farmer of 1800, using a hand sickle, could hope to cut a fifth of a hectare of wheat a day. With the cradle, 30 years later, be might cut eight-tenths of a hectare a day. In 1840, Cyrus McCormick performed a miracle by cutting from two to two-and-a-half hectares a day with the curious machine he had been developing for nearly 10 years. Foreseeing the demand, he headed west to the young prairie town of Chicago, where he set up a reaper factory and by 1860 sold a quarter of a million reapers.
取得这一特殊成就有几方面的原因:一个是西部地区的扩张,另一个是机器在农业上的应用。1800年的农民用手工镰刀,一天可望割五分之一公顷的小麦。30年后,农民们用附有配禾架的大镰刀, 一天可以割十分之八公顷。在1840年,Cyrus McCormick通过每天收割2公顷或2.5公顷的麦子创下了奇迹。他是利用几乎花费10年心血所发明的神奇机器收割的。他预想到收割机将来的需求量,于是就到了西部芝加哥一个新开发的大草原镇上,建立了一家收割机厂,到了1860年,他就卖出了250000台收割机。
Scarcely less important than machinery in the agricultural revolution was science. In 1862, the Morrill Land Grant College Act allotted public land to each state for the established of agricultural and industrial colleges. These were to serve both as educational institutions and as centers for research in scientific farming. Congress subsequently appropriated funds for the creation of agriculture experiment stations throughout the country and also granted funds directly to the Department of Agriculture for research purpose. By the beginning of the new century, scientists throughout the land were at work on a wide variety of agriculture projects.
在农业革命中和机械几乎同等重要的是科学,1862年,根据“莫里尔公地兴学法案”,国会把公用土地分配给各州,以便建立农业和工业学院。这些学校一方面是教育机构,另一方面是作为自然农业科学的研究中心。美国国会后来又为在全国各地创建实验站拨出专款,并且还给农业部的农业研究方面直接拨款。新世纪初,全国的农业科学家们都在土致力于各种各样的农业科研项目。
新民主主义论 (摘录)On New Democracy
五四运动是反帝国主义的运动,又是反封建的运动。五四运动的杰出的历史意义,在于它带着为辛亥革命还不曾有的姿态,这就是彻底地不妥协地反帝国主义和彻底地不妥协地反封建主义。
The May 4th Movement was an anti-imperialist as well as anti-feudal movement. Its outstanding historical significance is to be seen in a feature which was absent from the Revolution of 1911, namely, its thorough and uncompromising opposition to imperialist as well as to feudalism.
五四运动所以具有这种性质,是在当时中国的资本主义已有进一步的发展,当时中国的革命知识分子眼见俄、德、奥三大帝国主义国家已经瓦解,英、法两大帝国主义国家已经受伤,而俄国无产阶级已经建立了社会主义国家,德、奥、(匈牙利)、意三国无产阶级在革命中,因而发生了中国民族解放的新希望。五四运动是在当时世界革命号召之下,是在俄国革命号召之下,是在列宁号召之下发生的。五四运动是当时无产阶级世界革命的一部分。五四运动时期虽然还没有中国共产党,但是已经有了大批的赞成俄国革命的具有初步共产主义思想的知识分子。
The May 4th Movement possessed this quality because capitalism had developed a step further in China and because new hopes had arisen for the liberation of the Chinese nation as China’s revolutionary intellectuals saw the collapse of three great imperialist powers, Russia, Germany and Austria-Hungary, and the weakening of two others, Britain and France, while the Russian proletariat had established a socialist state and the German, Hungarian and Italian proletariat had risen in revolution. The May 4th Movement came into being at the call of the world revolution, of the Russian Revolution and of Lenin. It was part of the world proletarian revolution of the time. Although the Communist Party of China had not yet come into existence, there were already large numbers of intellectuals who approved of the Russian Revolution and had the rudiments of communist ideology.
五四运动,在其开始,是共产主义的知识分子、革命的小资产阶级知识分子和资产阶级知识分子(他们是当时运动的右翼)三部分人的统一战线的革命运动。它的弱点,就在只限于知识分子,没有工人农民参加。但发展到六三运动时,就不但是知识分子,而且有广大的无产阶级、小资产阶级和资产阶级参加,成了全国范围的革命运动了。
In the beginning the May 4th Movement was the revolutionary movement of a united front of three sections of people—communist intellectuals, revolutionary petty-bourgeois intellectuals and bourgeois intellectuals (the last forming the right wings of the movement). Its shortcoming was that it was confined to the intellectuals and that the workers and peasants did not john in. But as soon as it developed into the June 3rd Movement, not only the intellectuals but the mass of the proletariat, the petty bourgeoisie and bourgeoisie joined in, and it became a nation-wide revolutionary movement.
五四运动所进行的文化运动则是彻底地反对封建文化的运动,自有中国历史以来,还没有过这样伟大而彻底地文化革命。当时以反对旧道德提倡新道德,反对旧文学提倡新文学,为文化的两大旗帜,立下了伟大的功劳。这个文化运动,当时还没有可能普及到工农群众中去。它提出了“平民文学”口号,但是当时的所谓“平民”,实际上还只能限于城市小资产阶级和资产阶级的知识分子,即所谓市民阶级的知识分子。
The cultural revolution ushered in by the May 4th Movement was uncompromising in its oppositi there had never been such a great and thoroughgoing cultural revolution since the dawn of Chinese history. Raising aloft the two great banners of the day, “Down with the old ethics and up with the new!” and “Down with the old literature and up with the new!”, the cultural revolution had great achievements to its credit. At that time it was not yet possible for this cultural movement to become widely diffused among the workers and peasants. The slogan of “Literature for the common people was advanced, but in fact the “common people” then could only refer to the petty-bourgeois and bourgeois intellectuals in the cities, that is, the urban intelligentsia.
五四运动是在思想上和干部上准备了1921年中国共产党的成立,又准备了五卅运动和北阀战争。当时的资产阶级知识分子,是五四运动的右翼,到了第二个时期,他们中间的大部分就和敌人妥协,站在反动方面了。
Both in ideology and in the manner of cadres, the May 4th Movement paved the way for the founding of the Chinese Communist Party in 1921 and for the May 30th Movement in 1925 and the Northern Expedition. The bourgeois intellectuals, who constituted the right wings of the May 4th Movement, mostly compromised with the enemy in the second period and went over to the side of reaction.
Exercise 6
将下列短文译成英语
五四运动 May 4th Movement
第一次世界大战后,帝国主义对中国加紧侵略,北洋军阀政府对外妥协投降,对内残酷压迫人民,给中国带来了深重的民族危机。1919年“巴黎和会”上中国外交的失败,激起了中国人民的极大愤慨。五月四日,北京三千多学生在天安门前集会,他们高呼“外争国权,内惩国贼”、“废除二十一条”等口号,举行示威游行。我们要求惩办卖国贼曹汝霖、陆宗舆、章宗祥,并火烧了曹宅,痛打了章宗祥。北洋军阀政府出动军警镇压,捕去了学生三十多名。
After the World War Ⅰ, the imperialists stepped up their aggression against China while the Northern government resorted to compromise and capitulation externally and to ruthless oppression of the people internally, thus landing China in a great national crisis. In 1919 aroused strong indignation among the Chinese people. On May 4th, over three thousand Beijing students gathered in front of the Tian Anmen, and then hold a demonstration, shouting such slogans as “Defend our sovereignty, publish the traitors!” “Abolish the twenty-one Demands!” They called for punishment to be meted out to the traitors Cao Rulin, Lu Zongyu, Zhang Zongxiang. They set fire to Cao’s residence and beat up Zhang. The government called out troops and policemen to suppress the demonstrators and over thirty students were arrested.
那时候,各地学生纷纷响应北京学生的反帝爱国斗争。具有初步共产主义思想的知识分子李大钊、毛泽东、周恩来等同志分别在北京、长沙、天津,指导了这个伟大反帝运动。
Immediately, the students in one part of the country after another rose in support of the anti-imperialist patriotic struggle launched by the students in Beijing. Comrades Li Dazhao, Mao Zedong, Chou En-lai and other intellectuals who already had some knowledge of communication guided this great movement in Beijing, Changsha, Tianjin respectively.
六月三日,北京学生组织演讲队,开展了大规模的宣传活动,军阀政府对学生的镇压变本加厉,捕去一百七十多人。“六三”以后,主要是青年学生参加的五四爱国运动,发展成为无产阶级、小资产阶级和民族资产阶级共同参加的全国范围的革命运动。无产阶级成为运动的主力。上海、唐山、长辛店等地工人纷纷罢工示威,中国无产阶级第一次作为觉悟了的独立的政治力量登上了政治舞台,显示了它的伟大力量。
On June 3rd, the students of Beijing formal groups of speakers and carried out extensive propaganda. The government intensified its suppression and arrested over 170 students. From this point on, the May 4th patriotic movement, wither to conducted mainly by the student youth, became a nationwide revolution movement in which the proletariat, the petty bourgeoisie and the national bourgeoisie all took part in the patronization as the mainstay.
Larger numbers of workers in Shanghai, Tangshan, Changxindian and else where went on strike and held demonstrations. For the first time in Chinese history, the working class appeared as an awakened, independent force in the political area, demonstrating its tremendous strength.
在全国人民反帝爱国斗争的压力下,北洋军阀政府被迫释放被捕学生,撤消了三个卖国贼的职务,拒绝在对德“和约”上签字,反帝反封建取得了初步胜利。
Under the pressure of the nationwide anti-imperialist patriotic struggle, the warlord government had set free the students it had arrested, dismiss the three traitors from the office, and withhold its signature from the “Peace Treaty” with Germany. This marked an initial victory for the struggle against imperialism and feudalism.
五四运动是一次彻底的不妥协的反帝反封建的革命运动,它促成了中国工人运动用马克思主义的结合,在思想上和干部上为中国共产党的成立作了准备,是中国新民主主义革命的开端。
The May 4th Movement was a thoroughgoing, uncompromising revolutionary movement against imperialism and feudalism. It was instrumental in bringing about the integration of Maxims with China’s labor Movement, and it proved the way both in ideology and in the manner of cadres. It was the beginning for the new demonstration revolution of China.
Unit 3 CEOGRAPHY
Journey Up the Nile
(Robert Caputo) 沿尼罗河而上
Egypt, wrote the Great historian Hecatacus, is the gift of the Nile. No other country is so dependent on a single lifeline. Egypt’s very soil was born in the Nile’ with the flood came the life-giving mud that made Egypt the granary of the ancient world. And as rain fell in the Ethiopian highlands and the snows melted in the mountains of the Moon, the river was everlastingly renewed.
希腊历史学家赫卡泰奥斯写道:埃及是尼罗河赐予的礼物。任何别的国家都不象埃及这样依赖着唯一的一条生命线。就连埃及的土地都是尼罗河每年泛滥而带来的,河水泛滥带来了泥沙,万物得以生长,埃及就这样成了古代的粮仓。埃塞俄比亚高原上的雨水,和月亮山上融化的积雪,为尼罗河提供了无穷无尽的水源。
“This is the best place on earth,” said Ahmed, and Egyptian fellah, or farmer, I encountered in the Nile Delta, that incredibly fertile 8,500 square mile triangle between Cairo and the Mediterranean coast. The delta and the narrow Nile Valley to the south make up only 3 percent of Egypt’s land but are home to 96 percent of her population. Here nearly 48 million people live in an area only slightly larger than Maryland. The rest of Egypt is desert.
“这是世界上最好的地方”,阿赫迈德说道,他是我在尼罗河三角洲遇到的农民(当地人管农民叫“夫埃拉”)。从开罗到地中海之间这块有8500平方公里的三角地带,土地异常肥沃。三角洲和南边的尼罗河峡谷只占埃及土地的百分之,却有百分之九十六人口住在这里。将近的人生活的这块地方仅比美国马里兰州略大一点。埃及其余的地方全是沙漠。
“Truly Allah has blessed us,” Ahmed exclaimed piously. “Soil, water, sun---we can grow anything!”
“真主阿拉可真是保佑我们啊”,阿赫迈德虔诚的说道。“我们有泥土、水、阳光—种什么都行啊!”
In the gathering dusk Ahmed and his five companions had invited me to join them. Their galabias and turbans stained by the sweat and dirt of a long day’s work, they sat in front of a wayside shop, enjoying three of the best things in life along the Nile---tea, conversation, and the water pipe. At the edge of a nearby canal, donkeys laden with freshly harvested alfalfa waited for their masters to lead them home, braying a fretful counterpoint to the steady thud of an irrigation pump.
天色渐渐暗了下来,阿赫迈德和五个一起干活的人早就邀请去和他们玩。经一整天的劳作,他们的长袍和头巾又是汗水,又是尘土。他们坐在路旁商店门口,享受着尼罗河沿岸人们生活的三大乐事—茶、聊天、抽水烟。在附近一条水渠旁,驴子驮着刚丰割的苜蓿,等待主人把它们牵回家去,一面发出一阵阵急促的叫声,和浇地的水泵不断发出的突突声交织在一起。
All this suggested ancient harmonies. Yet, the Nile has been changed by modern man in ways not yet fully understood. In 1971 engineers and workers completed the Aswan High Dam, nearly 600miles upriver from Cairo toward the Sudanese frontier. It is the greatest public work to be undertaken in Egypt since the Pyramids. The devastating floods and droughts that imposed a recurrent tax of suffering on the fellahin no longer occur. Egyptian agriculture has been transformed, and industry is benefiting from power generated by the dam.
这一切使人感到古代的和谐气息。然而现代人却使尼罗河发生了改变,不过就连他们自己也不知道究竟发生了什么变化。1971年,工程师们和工人们建成了阿斯旺高坝,这个水坝在从开罗沿尼罗河向苏丹边境走去将近600英里远的地方。这是埃及自从修建金字塔以来进行的一项最大的公共工程。过去给农民带来的涝灾和旱灾,现在不再发生了。埃及的农业得到了改造,工业也用到了水坝发出的电力。
But there have been negative effects also. Standing on a sandy beach at the mouth of the Rosetta branch of the Nile, I was puzzled by what seemed a ghost town—a sad vista of crumbling buildings, smashed windows, and broken wires dangling from utility poles. One house teetered drunkenly, half in, half out of the sea.
但是也有不良的后果。洛塞塔是尼罗河入流口的一个支流,我站在河口的沙滩上看见一个小镇,感到迷惑不解。这仿佛是一个被人遗弃了的小镇,一片萧索景象,房子濒于倒塌,窗户破碎,断了的电线挂在电线杆上。有一个房子好象喝醉了的人一样摇摇晃晃,一半泡在海里,一半在陆地上。
“Last summer, people stayed in those rooms—this was a summer resort,” said a voice behind me. The speaker was a young Egyptian named Muhammad, member of a team from Alexandria that had come to this abandoned village to study coastal erosion. “Now the sea moving in,” Muhammad said. He pointed to a lighthouse perched on a tiny island a couple of mile offshore: “That lighthouse used to be on land. About six years ago it became an island. Day by day the sea is eating the land—the dam has stopped the sediment of the Nile from replenishing the shoreline.”
“去年夏天,那所房子还有人住过。这是一个避暑胜地。”在我身后有人说道。说话的人是一个名叫穆罕默德的埃及年轻人,他是一个考察队的队员,是专门从亚历山大港口到这个荒芜的小村庄来考察沿海地区水土流失的情况的。 “海水越来越往里边来,”穆罕默德指着两英里以外海滩一个小岛上的灯塔说道。“那座灯塔本来是在陆地上的。”大约6年前,那地方变成了一个岛。海水日复一日的冲刷陆地—水坝已经使得尼罗河的泥沙无法沉积下来加固海岸了。
As we chatted, a brightly painted sardine boat dropped anchor. The captain came ashore and joined our conversation. “Before they started the High Dam 25 years ago,” he said, “the Nile mud had a lot of food in it, and so the sardines gathered near the mouth of the river to feed. Now there is no mud, and no food for the fish --- they’ve left us.”
我们正在聊着,一个鲜艳的漆过的沙丁船抛锚了。船长上了岸,凑锅炉跟我们说话。他说,“25年前开始修建高坝以前,尼罗河的泥沙有很多可吃的东西,所以沙丁鱼就聚集在河口找食吃。但现在泥沙了,鱼也没可吃的了—也就不来了”。
“If all this can happen in 25 years, what will happen after 50 years, or 100 or 200?” asked Muhammad.
“如果25年前就发生这么多变化,50年、100年、200年以后又会怎么样呢?”穆罕默德问道。
Exercise 7
Journey Up the Nile (Excerpt 2)
沿尼罗河而上(节选2)
Tombs and temples of ancient Egypt follow the Nile well into Sudan. Driving southward and from Cairo into the valley, I entered a landscape that owed little to the present ear. For the next 1800 miles the thin blue ribbon of the Nile, flowing slowly north, unwound over brown soil and green fields, some only a few yards wide, others as broad as an low cornfield. At the edge of the fields, rising in dramatic hills or stretching flat to the horizon, lay the brown barren deserts.
尼罗河沿岸直到苏丹境内,到处可以看到古埃及的坟墓和寺庙。我从开罗驱车南行,进入了尼罗河河谷,这里的景色还没有受到多少现代的影响。从这里再往前1800米,尼罗河就象一条细细的蓝色的丝带,缓缓向北流去,沿途穿棕色的土地和绿色的田地,这些田地窄的不过几英尺,宽的则赶上美国依阿华州的玉米田。田地外边是寸草不生的棕色沙漠,有的地方突然隆起来象小山,有的地方则平平地伸向地平线。
I had the illusion that I was driving through one immensely long, narrow farm. The villages and towns were usually perched on the edge, so as not to waste arable soil and because there was a need, before the High Dam tamed the Nile, to live beyond the reach of the annual floods. The road followed the course of the Nile, now passing through the fields, now drawing a black line separating them from the desert.
我感到仿佛是在开车穿过一个狭窄而极长的农场。大小村镇一般都处在边上,这是为了不浪费耕地,同时也因为用高坝控制尼罗河之前,有必要住得远一点,以躲避每年发生的洪水。公路是顺着尼罗河修的,有时穿过山地,有时像是划的一条黑线,将庄稼与沙漠截然分离。
At El Awamia, just south of Luxor, I watched farmers harvest sugarcane. A village elder, Amin Ibrahim, invited me into his house and gave me a cheerier view of the effects of the Aswan High Dam than I had heard before. “Before the dam we were obsessed with the flood—would it be too high or too low?” said Amin. “Like all the generations of my family back to the pharaohs, I used to plant my crops and never know if I would harvest. N we know there will be water, and how much there will be. And we can get three crops a year instead of one. There is electricity in our house and to run pump, so we do not have to work the shaduf. We used to go to the house of a rich man to hear the radio. Now, since we grow crops all year, we buy our own radios and even televisions.”
就在勒克索南面的爱阿瓦米亚,我看到农民们在收割甘蔗。一位年长的村民,阿明伊布哈依姆邀请我到他家并讲述了阿斯旺高坝的景况—比我以前听说的更令人激动的场面。阿朗说:“还没有修坝的时候,我们老是惦记着洪水—今年的洪水是大是小呢?”“从法老之辈开始,我们祖祖辈辈种庄稼,但从来不知道是否能收成。现在我们不用担心了,因为我们知道利用水,并知道水量的多少,我们每年可收三季庄稼。家家户户都有电。在灌溉方面,水泵已经代替了桔槔。过去我们常到富人家听广播,现在自从我们一年到头都能种庄稼,我们买了自己的收音机,甚至电视机”。
Judiciously, Amin conceded that there was another, less happy, side to the story: “The land is poorer, because the mud that used to come with the Nile flood has stopped. We must use fertilizers that cost a lot of money. Even so, the crops are less.”
He led me through fields near his house. The ground was encrusted with salt. “The flood does not carry away the salt as before,” Amin explained. The annual flood of the Nile used to deposit as much as 20 million tons of silt on the fields along the river. As the flood receded, the water draining through the soil leached out the salts and carried them off to the Mediterranean. It was a natural system of replenishment and cleaning. Today this treasury of silt is trapped behind the dam, and there is no effective drainage system.
坦白地说,阿明承认修坝也有不好的一面,“土地比过去更加贫瘠,因为过去有尼罗河带来的泥沙使土地更肥沃。现在却没有了泥沙。我们不得不花费很多钱买化肥。即使这样,庄稼还减产。
他领我穿过他家附近的田地,地面上覆盖这盐碱,“现在不像从前了,河水不泛滥,盐分就冲不走了。”阿明解释道。过去,尼罗河的洪水每年为沿岸的田地带来了2万吨的淤泥。当洪水退时,浸入的土壤的水排出内部盐分,并把盐分冲到地中海。这也是一种大自然的循环和净化系统。现在宝贵的泥沙被水坝挡住,却没有除盐的有效办法。
阿德莱得德
Adelaide, capital of the state of South Australia. Situated at the base of the Mt. Lofty Ranges, 9 mi (14km) inland from the centre of the east shore of the Gulf St. Vincent, it enjoys a Mediterranean climate with hot summers ( February mean temperature 74°F&23℃&, cool winters (July mean 54 °F&12℃&), and an average annual rainfall of 21 in (530mm). The site, chosen (1836) by Charles Sturt and William Light (the colony’s first surveyor general), is on slightly rising ground along the Torrens River, which divides it into a southern business district and a northern residential section. The city is separated from its suburbs by extensive areas of park lands. Named for Queen Adelaide,
consort of the British King Williams Ⅳ, it was incorporated as Australia’s first municipal government in 1840 and became a city in 1919, when it gained a lord mayoralty.
阿德莱德,是南澳大利亚的首府。位于洛夫帝山麓,到圣文森特湾14公里。属地中海气候(二月温度达到74°F&23℃&,凉爽的冬季(一月的温度有54 °F&12℃&,年平均降水量在21 in (530mm )。四周平原土壤肥沃,与东和东南方的墨累低地相通。附近山区有矿藏。原为早期农贸中心,现已工业化。这个地方,是查理斯和威廉(殖民者的第一任测量总监)于1836年选定的,拖轮斯河横贯市区。市区与郊区之间有大片公园。南部商业区和北部居民区。该城是以英王威廉四世之王后阿德莱德命名的。1840年阿德莱德成立澳大利亚第一个地方自治政府,1919年设立市长职位,改为市。
The fertility of the surrounding plains, easy access to the Murray lowlands to the east and southeast, and the presence of mineral deposits in the nearby hills all contributed to the city’s growth. As an early agricultural marketing centre, it handled wheat, wool, fruits, and wine. Adelaide, aided by its central position and a ready supply of raw materials, has since become industrialized, with factories producing automobile components, machinery, textiles, and chemicals. A focus of rail, sea, air, and road transportation, it receives the bulk of the products of the lower Murray River Valley, which has no port at its mouth. Adelaide’s own harbour facilities are at Port Adelaide (q.v.), 7 mi (11km) northwest.
周围有肥沃的平原,很容易通过Murray 低地到达东部和东南部,出现的煤沉积在附近的山上,用来满足城市的增长。作为最早的农业交易中心,它生产小麦、羊毛、水果和酒。阿德莱得,得力于它的中心位置及能够迅速提供原材料,变的很有工业化,工厂能够生产自动化元件、机器、纺织品和化学品。把铁路、海运、空运和道路运输方式作为重点,它得到了没有港口的*河谷嘴的大批的产品。在阿德莱得港口在阿德莱得西北7mi处。
Notable city landmarks include the university (founded in 1874), Parliament and Government houses, the Natural History Museum, and two cathedrals---St. Peter’s (Anglican) and St. Francis Xavier’s (Roman Catholic). The Adelaide Festival of Arts (1960) was the first international celebration of its kind to be held in Australia. Pop. (1975 est.)city, 15,000; metropolitan area, 899,300.
34° 55’S, 138° 35’E
著名的城市标志包括大学(1874年建),议会和政府大厦及自然历史博物馆,还有两个教堂—圣比得和。
阿德莱德文化节每两年举行一次,是在澳大利亚举办的第一个国际性文艺活动。
Exercise 8
将下列短文译成汉语:
Adelaide, the capital of South Australia, is one of Australia best-planned cities. The city was laid out with broad streets in an open grid pattern, and over 4000ha of parklands encircling the city were preserved. To the west the city faces Gulf St. Vincent, with broad sandy beaches lining the coastline. To the east the Mount Lofty ranges form an impressive backdrop, with Mount Lofty (727m) the highest peak. The southern part of the city is the main business section of the city. Belts of parklands line three sides of the area and four large open squares of lawns and tree break the regularity of the city buildings. Northern Adelaide, which is chiefly residential, is bordered by more parklands, and contains two open squares. N and S Adelaide are divided by the Torrens River, spanned by four bridges and lined with ornamental gardens.
The city contains many fine examples of early Australian architecture, including the town hall on King Williams Street—the wide main N-S thoroughfare. Built from designs by E. W. Wright, a former mayor of the city, the town hall’s foundation stone was laid in 1863.
Adelaide contains many statues and seven fountains. The most spectacular fountain, completed in 1968, is in Victoria Square, the center of the city’s business section. Its three-sided design, with 34 jets of water and aluminum sculptures, represents the three rivers from which Adelaide draws its water—the Murray, the Torrens and the Onkaparinga. Parklands, which separate the city and the suburbs, are preserved in perpetuity for the use of the people.
From 1960, when the first Adelaide Festival of Arts held, Adelaide gained a reputation as Australia’s cultural center. As an artistic event, a stimulus to the creative and performing arts in Australia, the Festival has introduced many world-famous artists to millions of Australia.
The Imperial Palace
The Imperial Palace 故宫
Built in the early fifteenth century (A.D.), it is also called the Palace Museum or the Old Palace. As you pass through Tian An Men Gate you will enter a walled courtyard. Although you cannot see them, on either side of this courtyard are many gardens and halls. Of particular interest if you have time might be the Imperial Ancestral Temple, which is to the right, and the Sun Yat-Sen Park, on the left.
建与十五世纪初,也称为故宫博物院或老皇宫。当你穿过天安门的时候就可以进到院子里。尽管你不能看到它们,在院子的每一侧都有很多花园和大厅。带着莫大的兴趣如果你有时间,向右走,就到了太庙,向左是中山公园。
Covering an area of 175 acres (72 ha.), the Palace is enclosed by walls over 35 ft. (10.4m) high and surrounded by a moat 57 yd. (52m.) wide. Today this moat is still full of water. Four watchtowers are placed, one at each corner. Used as the imperial palace by both the Ming and Qing Dynasties (A.D.), the Imperial Palace is the largest and most complete group of ancient buildings standing in China.
占地175英亩,故宫被35英尺多的高墙、52米的护城河所包围。现在这个护城河都是水。安置了四个观塔台,每个角有一个。过去是明清两朝的皇宫,这个皇宫是现存的中国最大最完整的古代建筑群。
The halls and palaces which comprise the Imperial Palace are all built of wood and brick. With a total of over nine thousand rooms, most of the Palace had undergone some reconstruction to repair damage caused by fire and other ravages of time during the long years of its history. Throughout you will find typical masterpieces of ancient Chinese architecture watchtowers and the magnificent Hall of Supreme Harmony.
故宫所包括的大厅和宫殿是是由木头和砖建造的。有超过九千的房间,大部分的宫殿经过重建去修复被火和其历史上长期的掠夺长久所造成的破坏。然而你能找到古中国建筑观塔和雄伟的大会堂的代表作。
To further insure the Imperial Palace would be given special protection, in 1961 the Chinese government decreed that the entire area be considered one of China’s “most important historical sites.”
从长远上给了故宫特别的保护,在1961年,中国人民政府宣布所有的这些区域都是中国“最重要的历史遗迹”之一。
The Palace Museum, with four gates, has its main entrance to the south, known as the Meridian Gate. This is the gate you will approach as you continue along the cobbled roadway from Tian An Men. The Imperial Palace is divided into two ceremonial areas: the Outer Palace and the Inner Court. Through the Meridian Gate and across the Golden Water Bridge, one comes to the Gate of Supreme Harmony, the main gate of the Outer Palace. The main buildings in the Outer Palace are the Hall of Supreme Harmony, the Hall of Complete Harmony, and the Hall of Preserving Harmony.
故宫博物院,有四个门,南方是主要的进出口,被称之为“午门”。你从天安门继续沿着鹅卵石路面就可以到达太和门。故宫被分成两个正式的区域:外朝和内廷。穿过午门和金水桥,就到了外朝的主门太和殿。 外朝的主要建筑是保和殿。
Exercise 9
将下列短文译成英语:
Beihai Park
北海公园原是辽、金、元、明、清历代封建帝王的“御花园”。总面积共有68.2公顷。公园的中心—琼岛,周长1913米,高32.8米,是1179年(金代)用挖海的泥土堆成的。岛上白塔建于1651你,塔高35.9米。
Beihai Park,covering an area of 68.2 hectares, was the imperial garden in the Liao, Jin, Ming, Qing Dynasties. The center of the park in Qiong Island, 32.8m. high and 1.913meters in circumference. It was made in 1179 (in the Jin Dynasty) with the earth that came from the digging of the lake. The white Dagoba built on it in 1651 is as high as 35.9 meters.
琼岛东北部有“琼岛春阴”碑,为1751年建立,附近风光秀丽,过去是燕京八景之一。海北岸有“五龙亭”,建于1602年,是封建皇帝钓鱼和看焰火的地方;“九龙壁”建于1756年,全壁用五彩琉璃瓦砌成,两面各有蟠龙九条,姿态生动,反映了我国劳动人民的创造才能;“铁影壁”是元代文物。
There is a stone stable erected in 1751 in the northern of Qing island, with “Qiong Dao Chun Yin”, written by Emperor Qianlong
A Global Economy
一个全球性经济
President Clinton realized –as all of us must—that today’s economy is global. We live in an era in which information, goods and capital speed around the globe, every hour of every day. Whether we like it or not, all of our fortunes are tied together. We are truly interdependent.
正如每个人必须意识到的那样,克林顿总统认识到现代经济是全球化的。我们生活在这样一个时代中,信息、货物、和资金每时每刻世界上流动。不管我们喜欢与否,我们所有人的命运都是相连的。我们真的互相依靠。
America supports international trade because we believe fundamentally that trade will enrich those nations who embrace its discipline. The great promise of trade is its potential to promote mutual prosperity --- and to strengthen the bonds between sovereign nations.
美国支持国际贸易,因为我们确信,贸易会使那些遵照行为准则的国家富裕起来。极其光明的贸易前景是促进互相繁荣和加强主权国家之间联系的潜在力量。
The U.S. and China both demonstrate the potential of trade to improve the lives of our people. You know better than I the great achievements of the Chinese economy over the past two decades. In 1977, the sum total off Chinese imports and exports was less than $ 15 billion, putting China’s share of world trade at 0.6 percent. The most populous country in the world, China ranked a distant 30th among exporting nations. By 1993 China’s exports and imports totals nearly $200 billion. China had become the world’s tenth largest exporter.
美国和中国双方都显示一种提高人民生活水平的贸易潜力。你们比我更清楚的是在过去20年中国经济所取得的巨大成就。在1977年,中国进出口总量还不到150亿美元,仅仅占世界贸易总额的0.6﹪,世界上人口最多的中国在出口国家中排名落后,仅是第三十位。到1993年,中国的进出口总额接近2亿元,中国已成了世界上第十大出口国。
Since 1978, when China began opening its economy to increased foreign investment and trade aggregate output has more than doubled. The strongest growth has occurred in the coastal areas near Hong Kong and opposite Taiwan, where foreign investment and modern production methods have spurred production of both domestic and export goods. Per capita GNP has grown at an average rate of 7.6﹪ from .
自从1978年以来,中国经济为日益增加的外国投资和贸易敞开了大门,总产量增加了一倍多。最强劲的增长是近香港和台湾对面的沿海地区,在这个地区,外国投资和现代生产手段的使用促进了国内和出口货物的生产。从1980年到1992年人均国民生产总值平均增长率为7.6﹪。
The numbers are interesting, but how has this affected the people of China? In the last decade, telephone connections rose more than 60﹪. Electrical production more than doubled to 621 million kilowatt hours. In short, China has improved the economic well-being of its people.
看看数字是很有趣的。然而它又是怎么影响中国人的呢?在过去十年里,电话用户增加了60﹪以上。电力生产增加了一倍至千瓦/时。总之,中国提高了人民经济生活水平。
The people of the United States also have experienced the benefits three decades. Since World War Ⅱ, the US has been the world’s largest economy and , in most years, the world’s largest exporter.
But the importance of the trade in our economy has exploded in the past three decades. In 1970, the value of two way trade was equal to just 13﹪ of U.S. economy. Last year, that figure, at 28﹪, was more than twice as high. In just the last seven years, jobs supported by U.S. exports (goods and services) have risen by 4 million, to a total of 11 millions. That’s almost one out of ten American jobs. Last year U.S. trade equaled $1.8 trillion dollars.
美国人民在也得益于国际贸易的经历。自从第二次世界大战以来,美国一直是世界上的经济大国。在大多数年代中,它又是世界上最大的出口国。
但是在过去的30年中,我们经济贸易的重要性大大地增加了。在1970年,双边贸易的总值相当于美国经济的13﹪。去年上升到28﹪,比1970年增加了一倍多。就在过去七年中,美国的出口(货物和服务)创造的就业机会增加了400万个,总数上升了1100万个。这几乎占美国就业总数的十分之一。去年,美国的贸易总额达到了1.8万亿美圆。
Nor is the importance of trade like to diminish or either China or the United States. China will continue to depend upon lucrative export markets to earn the foreign exchange it needs to develop and grow. At the same time, China’s imports will supply the much needed machinery and technology to fuel its continued development.
无论是中国和美国,都不会缩小贸易的重要性。中国会继续依靠获利的出口市场赚取外汇以发展和增长自己的经济。同时,中国可用进口的机械和技术来加快它继续发展的速度。
For the United States, new commercial opportunities will grow most rapidly in the emerging markets. We estimate that three quarters of new export opportunities over twenty years –that’s an incredible $1.9 trillion in potential exports—will come in the emerging markets of Asia and Latin America. This means jobs for American workers and a higher standard of living for the American people.
对于美国来说,在不断涌现的市场上,新的贸易机会将会以最快的速度增加。我们估计过,在未来的20年中,新的出口机会中的新商业机会的四分之三,即数量可观的1.9万亿美圆的潜在出口额,将来自亚洲和拉丁美洲不断出现的市场上。这将意味着为美国工人创造就业机会,使美国人民提高生活水平。
Exercise 10
New Opportunities in China’s Economic Cooperation with other Countries
中国同其他国家经济合作带来的新机会
by Robert D. Hormats
China is the world’s largest developing nation and the US is the world’s most developed large nation. Bilateral trade between the two has grown impressively. In the early part of the 1970s, there was virtually no trade. Today, two way trade is something in the order $6 billion and increasing. Increasing amounts of American investment have taken place in China, and Chinese investment in the United States is also, beginning. The result, I believe, is that we have built the beginnings of a sound foundation for future commercial and financial ties. China’s imports from the US, which amounted to $900 million in 1978, rose to nearly $3 billion in 1982. exports rose from $300 million to $2.3 billion during that period. Total Chinese
trade has also risen dramatically, from 1978 to 1983 Chinese exports increased from roughly $10 billion to $22 billion, while imports increased from $10 billion to just over $21 billion.
中国是世界上最大的发展中国家,而美国是世界上最发达的大国。两国的双边贸易已有显著的发展。70年代早期,两国之间几乎无贸易可言。现在,双边的贸易大约有60亿美圆,并且还在增加。美国在中国的投资越来越多,中国在美国也在进行。我相信,我们已经为今后的贸易与金融关系初步打下了坚实}

我要回帖

更多关于 锅炉兆瓦和吨的换算 的文章

更多推荐

版权声明:文章内容来源于网络,版权归原作者所有,如有侵权请点击这里与我们联系,我们将及时删除。

点击添加站长微信